Monday, September 27, 2010

Working With Memory Wire

Memory wire is made from stainless steel and is used as a beading medium.  It's called "memory" because it is already formed in the shape of rings, like a spring, and it stays in this form for the most part, unless you really overwork it. Even then, it will still be like a spring, just larger because overworking it can make it stretch its shape a little. But generally speaking, this material is very easy to work with. It comes in bracelet, ring, and necklace size.   I think that it's the perfect way for beginners to start working with.  I am also thinking of teaching the campers how to make some memory wire bracelets for the Arrowhead Day Camp elective classes that I teach in July.

I have been making quite a few Memory Wire bracelets as of late.  I really like making these for two reasons:  They are pretty much one-size-fits all; They also are fairly inexpensive to create.  

I tend to use bead chips and then add some larger beads to add interest.  I also like to make bead dangles and add them to the loops on one side of the bracelet.  For the dangles I use beads and chips from the bracelet design and then I like to add a message tag (happiness, dream, laugh etc.)

 Here are two examples of pieces I've recently created:

For this bracelet, I used Carnelian nuggets and Turquoise chips.  

This bracelet is made using light Amethyst chips and handcrafted ceramic beads. 
For the dangle, I added a message tag and some Amethyst Swarovski crystals.

Thanks for stopping by to take a look!

4 comments:

storybeader said...

I love working with memory wire - no worry about clasps, just string and go! Pretty, pretty!

Erika said...

Though I have not worked with memory wire, two of my favorite bracelets from etsy are memory wire. These are very pretty.

barbarakosciewicz said...

These are really cute Carrie!

Anitra Cameron said...

Lovely bracelets! I'm not usually a fan of the chips, but you really have used them to good effect, and very stylishly, too!

Followers